Advice On Transferring From A Junior College To A University



 As the cost of college increases, students look for ways to save money when trying to obtain a bachelors degree. One way students who are just entering college try to save money on a four your degree is to transfer from a junior college to a four year institution.  If you choose this avenue to save on an education, you want to make sure that the credits earned at the junior college will transfer to the school that you plan on obtaining a bachelors degree from. 

  If you are planning to transfer to a school in the state you reside in, check to see if the junior college you plan to  attend has Articulation Agreements with the school(s) you are interested in getting a bachelors.  An Articulation Agreement, in short, documents what courses will transfer to a four year institution from a junior college.  This agreement is important because it allows you to focus on what classes are accepted by the school you want to transfer. If there are no Articulation Agreements with any of the universities you wish to transfer to, consult your transfer or academic advisor at the community college you plan to attend as well as the transfer advisor or office that handles accepting the courses you plan to take.  If you go in blind taking courses and are not certain of their ability to be transferred, you will lose money as well as time.   

 Just to recap, start with seeing if the junior college you are interested in attending has a relationship with other schools in your home state that will allow a smooth transition to earning a bachelors degree. If there are no articulation agreements contact advisors at your school as well as the school you are transferring to in order to get  a clear understanding of what classes you are expected to take that will be accepted.



This entry was posted in College resource. Bookmark the permalink.